Venture Centre's Business Resource Centre
The Venture Centre's Business Resource Centre is a public office space, fully equipped working environment available for existing and start-up businesses.
They offer the following services:
- Business Conseling
- Business Plan Templates
- Access to BizPaL
- Small Business Solver (see below)
Hours of operation: Monday to Friday, 9:00 to 16:00.
Marketing and Business Planning
Making a business plan is an important process to go through prior to starting your venture. If you are going to apply for financing from a bank or other source, a business plan will more than likely be required. However, our business development specialists recommend you make a plan regardless if you go for financing or not. A small business statistic to consider is the fact that less than one half of businesses survive past the first three years. To avoid becoming a statistic we want you to think of a business plan as a template for your business that you will use to develop and grow your company. There are many business plan guides out there to help you develop a plan; we provide an overview of the key components of a business plan in this guide.
Marketing is equally important for your business success. If people do not know you exist, how are they going to purchase from you? Our marketing strategy guide looks at marketing vs. advertising, understanding your market, analyzing the competition, reaching your target market and more.
Small Business Solver
So you've decided to start your own business because you have a great product or service to offer the world. What you haven't accounted for are some of the roadblocks that you're now facing.
Starting a small business isn't easy but with business solutions right at your fingertips, you don't have to worry about missing any steps.
Visit Small Business Solver for small business training and tools.
The Internet is a great resource!
There is a wealth of free online marketing and business planning information. Your bank will be a good starting point, especially if this is where you obtain financing. Banks will require you to have a detailed business and marketing plan to be considered for a loan, and each will have its own templates to follow. Below are other websites that can help you:
Research Your Business
How large is the market for your product or service? What are trends and statistics for the industry you plan to operate in? To formulate your plan you need to answer these and other important questions. The following are excellent sources.
Statistics Canada - find demographic information on Timmins, Kapuskasing, Cochrane and other surrounding communities from the 2006 Census under "Community Profiles. There are also numerous reports and analysis on business sectors, consumer spending habits, economic indicators on the Canadian economy, and more.
SME Benchmarking Tool - Offers industry-specific income statement and balance sheet data for small and medium sized businesses. SME Benchmarking Tool allows you to:
- Estimate the operating costs for your new business;
- View financial performance averages in your industry;
- Enter your own financial data to see how your business measures up to comparably sized firms.
Exporting and Importing
Canada Business Services for Entrepreneurs - this Government of Canada website is an all-in-one guide to exporting:
- Step-by-step guide that outlines the advantages of exporting and the human, financial and legal resources you will need. It includes a company readiness test and information about how to develop an exporting plan
- Exporting training programs- information on international trade, workshops and how to work a tradeshow
- Complete guide to exporting to the United States detailing U.S. laws, customs, labeling requirements, and related penalties and seizures laws
- Links to international agencies that can assist you with entering their markets
- Financing programs and incentives
Canada Border Services Agency - provides information for Canadian businesses importing commercial goods.
- Canada Border Services Agency - Checklist for Importing Commercial Goods into Canada (PDF)
- Canada Border Services Agency - Checklist for Exporting Commercial Goods from Canada (PDF)
Canadian Association of Importers and Exporters - this is a non-government, membership-based organization that assists Canadian businesses with importing and exporting.